Charter School Resources for Parents and Students

This page provides useful information and additional links related to ջ charter school processes.

Choosing a Charter School

There are several resources available to help you choose the charter school that is best for your child. The Charter School Locator Map has information about all Texas charter schools and can help you locate a charter school close to where you live. In addition, charter district and campus performance information is available through . The page include detailed information about each charter and are available for download.

Charter School Admissions and Enrollment

The term "open enrollment" means any student can apply to the charter school. The school's charter will specify any exceptions. Discrimination is prohibited in the admissions policy for all charter schools. In most cases, the admissions policy must also describe a lottery process. A charter must use a lottery process when the number of applications to the school exceeds the number of available spaces.

Charter schools may only ask for information that is on the Charter Student Admission Application (CSAA) (PDF). Once a student is admitted the enrollment process begins. It is only then that the school may request information, including academic records and other documents that are part of the student’s educational history.

When a new student registers at a charter school, the new school will contact the previous school to request a transfer of records. In the meantime, the new school must register and place the student. If you have copies of old report cards or similar records it will help the new school with appropriate placements.

In most instances, a charter school will forward the records of a student who transfers to a different school. Public schools (charters and traditional) cannot deny enrollment based on the lack of records. See 19 TAC § 74.26(a)(1).

A public school cannot withhold student records from an adult student or the guardian of a minor student. If you have a legal claim to the records, you may submit a request in writing to the school. The law requires that a school responds promptly to a written request. For more information on how to file a complaint, please contact or visit .

If you have additional questions, contact the Division of Authorizing via email or by phone at (512) 463-9575.

Charter Student Admission Application

The Charter Student Admission Application (CSAA) (PDF) allows for families to apply to any open-enrollment charter school in the state of Texas. Pursuant to , all open-enrollment charter schools must collect the data on this form and may not alter the CSAA.  The form is currently available in a bilingual English/Spanish format through the link above; it is also available in eight other languages in our CSAA collection.

Withdrawal from a Charter School

Parents may withdraw their children from a charter school at any time. A charter school may not remove or expel a student for failure to progress in the program. The only time a charter may expel a student is if the student commits an expellable offense. The student code of conduct must list these types of offenses. The expulsion may only happen after due process has occurred. The charter holder board must also determine that the expulsion is appropriate.

Request Closed Charter Transcripts/Diplomas

If you need to obtain student records from a closed charter school, contact the Education Service Center (ESC) Region XIII, which operates as the custodian of records for closed charter schools throughout Texas.

Complete the form below and email it to the ESC Region XIII Records Specialist at  If the closed charter school was operated by an independent school district, contact the independent school district directly to obtain a copy of your student records.

If the Records Specialist is not able to retrieve your records, you must submit a request to ջ, Public Information Office to determine the disposition of your student records. Complete the Public Information Request Form below or if you have questions, call 512-463-3464

If you have additional questions regarding closed charter school records, contact ESC Region XIII, Records Specialist, Priscilla Diaz at or call 512-919-5418.

If you have additional questions, contact the Division of Authorizing via email or by phone at (512) 463-9575.