High-Quality Instructional Materials
A growing body of research points to the positive impact high-quality instructional materials can have on student learning. ÈËÆÞÓÕ»ó defines full-subject high-quality materials as those that ensure full coverage of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), align with research-based instructional strategies in each subject area, and support all learners.Ìý ÌýÌý
What are Full-Subject High-Quality Instructional Materials?Ìý
High-Quality Instructional Materials (HQIM) are curricular resources that:Ìý
- Ensure full coverage of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).Ìý
- Are aligned to evidence-based best practices in the relevant content areas of RLA, math, science, and social studies.Ìý
- Support all learners, including students with disabilities, English Learners, and students identified as gifted and talented.Ìý
- Enables frequent progress monitoring through embedded and aligned assessments.
- Includes implementation supports for teachers.
- Provide teacher and student-facing lesson-level materials.Ìý
Why are HQIM Important?Ìý
High-Quality Instructional Materials (HQIM) allow students to engage more deeply and meaningfully with the Texas standards and supports teachers in ensuring all students have access to high-quality and rigorous grade-level content. Student outcomes improve when they have greater access to:Ìý
- Grade-appropriate assignmentsÌý
- Strong instructionÌý
- Deep engagement; andÌý
- Teachers with high expectationsÌý
HQIM provides teachers with a foundational resource that ensures all students will have access to rigorous, grade level content.
- Update on the Commissionerâ€™s List of Recommended Phonics ProgramsÌý(PDF) February 16, 2023Ìý
- Frequently Asked Questions (coming soon)Ìý