State Waivers Unit
The State Waivers Unit of the ÈËÆÞÓÕ»ó is responsible for the coordination of expedited and general state waivers and class size exceptions. See Texas Education Code , Waivers & Exemptions, for rules.
2023-2024 ApplicationsÌýwill be available in ÈËÆÞÓÕ»óL on the following dates:
|General & ExpeditedÌý||July 5, 2023|
|AttendanceÌý (Missed School Day, Low Attendance)ÌýÌýÌý||August 1, 2023|
Due to the delayed 2022-2023 accountability ratings release, the 2023-2024 class size exception application opened on November 17, 2023. The deadline to submit the initial exception request has been extended to December 20, 2023.
Note: OnceÌýa new waiver year opens, theÌýpriorÌýschool year waiver application will no longer be available.
Most waiver typesÌýare placed into one of four categories:
- Expedited WaiversÌýÌýare waivers that require basic information from the district.
- General WaiversÌýare waivers that requireÌýdetailed information surrounding the district's waiver request.
- Attendance WaiversÌýinclude Missed School Days, Low Attendance Days, and Additional Days School Year (ADSY) waivers. The district or campusÌýcan request a waiver for excused absences if instructional daysÌýare missed orÌýif attendance is lowÌýdue to weather, health, or safety issues.Ìý
- Maximum Class Size ExceptionÌýis required under the provision of TEC Â§25.112 if any class for grades PK-4 exceeds the allowable class size limit of 22 students per class (22:1). An exemption expires at the end of the school year for which it is granted.
- Other Waivers are specific requests that do not fall under any of the above categories.
The following list shows the different waiver types and links to their description:
- Staff Development Waiver
- Modified Schedule State Assessment Testing Days Waiver
- Foreign Exchange Student Waiver (Request 5 or more)
- Teacher Data Portal of the Texas Assessment Management System
- Course Requirement Waiver
- Certification Teacher Waiver
- Course Requirement Career and Technical Education (CTE) Waiver
- Certification for Superintendent Waiver
- Pregnancy Related Services On-Campus (CEH) Waiver
- Foreign Exchange Student (Less than 5) Waiver
- Other Specific Waivers
- Instructions for Submitting a CTE Instructional Minutes Calculation Requirement Waiver (8-26-2022)
- Grade 7 Reading Diagnostic Waiver Guidance and Instructions School Year 2022-2023 (8-22-2022)
- To the Administrator Addressed ADSY COVID staffing Waiver Request for 2021-2022 COVID-Related School ClosuresÌý(2-3-22)
- FebruaryÌý18th Update ÈËÆÞÓÕ»ó Inclement Weather Update -ÌýFebruary 18, 2021
- July 14thÌýUpdate Early Childhood Education COVID 19 Updates - July 14, 2020
- To the Administrator Addressed House Bill 3 (HB3) Implementation: Extension: Full-Day Prekindergarten Waiver (2-27-20)
- To the Administrator Addressed ÌýOut-of-District Transportation WaiverÌýand District AttestationÌý(5-19-20)
- To the Administrator Addressed Additional Missed School Day Waivers related to Hurricane HarveyÌý(9-1-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Hurricane Harvey Related WaiversÌý(8-29-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Minutes of Operation - Updates to HB 2442Ìý(8-31-2017)
- To the Administrator Addressed Information Concerning Changes to Staff Development and Early Release Waivers for 2018-2019 and BeyondÌý(8-31-2017)