The Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS)Ìýis an English language proficiency assessment aligned to the Texas English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS). This assessment is designed to assess the progress that emergent bilingual (EB) students make in learning the English language. TELPAS fulfills ESSA requirements for assessing EB students in kindergarten through grade 12 in four language domains: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Grades Kâ€“1 include:
- holistically rated observational assessments of listening, speaking, reading and writing
Grades 2â€“12 include online tests for:
- listening and speaking
- reading and writing
Who Is Tested?
All EB students in kindergarten through grade 12 enrolled in Texas public schools or open-enrollment charter schools are required to participate in TELPAS. EB students are required to be assessed annually with an English language proficiency assessment until they meet EB reclassification criteria.
What Is Tested?
- Grade 2 Constructed Response Scoring GuideÌý
- Grade 3ÌýConstructed Response Scoring GuideÌý
- Grade 4â€“5ÌýConstructed Response Scoring Guide
- Grade 6â€“7ÌýConstructed Response Scoring Guide
- Grade 8â€“9ÌýConstructed Response Scoring Guide
- Grade 10â€“12 Constructed Response Scoring Guide
- Elementary SentenceÌýRewrite Scoring GuideÌý
- Middle School SentenceÌýRewrite Scoring Guide
- High School SentenceÌýRewrite Scoring Guide
What Do Test Questions Look Like?
Access the online released tests and practice sets on theÌý.
Access answer keys and specific scoring guides atÌýTELPAS Released Test Questions.
What Is Reported?Ìý
- Statewide Summary Reports
- Statewide Item Analysis Reports
- Raw Score Conversion Tables
- 2022 TELPAS Frequency Distribution
What Other Information Is Available?
- TELPAS Test Administration Manual
- TELPAS Rater Manual
- TELPAS Test Administration Information
- TELPAS Proficiency Level Descriptors
- TELPAS Student Rating Roster
- TELPAS Writing Collection Cover Sheet and Verification Checklist
- 2023â€“2024 Making the ELPS-TELPAS Connection Grades Kâ€“12 Overview
- 2023â€“2024 Introductory Training on the PLDs Grades Kâ€“1
- 2023â€“2024 Introductory Training on the PLDs Grades 2â€“12
- 2023â€“2024 Grades 2â€“12 Writing Collection Overview
- 2023â€“2024ÌýHolistic Rating Training
- Glossary of Terms Used in TELPAS Holistic Rating TrainingÌý
- Annotated Examples of Student Writing
- Scoring Process for TELPAS Speaking Responses
Student Assessment Division